Friday, September 19, 2014

The Maze Runner is A Lot Better Than I Expected. WARNING: SPOILERS



The Maze Runner
D: Wes Ball
W: Grant Pierce Myers, T.S. Nowlin, Noah Oppenheim
S: Dylan O'Brien, Kaya Scodelario, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Will Poulter, Ki-hong Lee

This week we get another movie based on a young adult novel, this time its The Maze Runner by James Dashner. The story is about a group of young people (obviously) who are stuck in a commune surrounded by a maze and they no memory of their previous life before being sent there, outside of their name. One day the newest member named Thomas (Dylan O'Brien) decides that something needs to be done and so he, along with others, try to find a way out of the maze and try to figure out why they're there. 

Now with me and movies based on books I go in with the mind set of I should have to read the book before seeing the movie. Because for me the movie should stand on its own without any extra knowledge. And this isn't me trashing the original source material, in my eyes a movie should be able to stand on its own. That being said I did actually enjoy this film surprisingly. 

Now as previously stated this is based on a young adult novel, and me and the based on 'YA' novels have had a mixed relationship. There be some I like to an extent, (The Hunger Games and Harry Potter) and then ones I didn't like, and it should be rather obvious which one I didn't like. And this one falls into the former category. 

First all let's get the biggest problem out of the way, why don't they just climb to the top of the maze wall and escape that way? Well, I can see that as a problem but then again that same complaint can fall onto stuff like Gilligan's Island or Harry Potter. Why didn't they just build a boat? Why didn't Harry use a certain spell or that time necklace? So there are some things you've got to let slide just for the sake of the plot. Other than that I would say that the biggest problem this film has is that things still don't feel fully explained and the characters aren't the most developed and they fall into the stereotypes of 'YA' novel characters, such as the noble leader/mentor (Aml Ameen), the guy who is a jerk for no real reason (Will Poulter) and so on. 

Now onto the positives. I have to say that this movie has some really good performances. Which is especially noteworthy given that there are barely any veteran actors in this film, except for one who isn't revealed until the end. And (SPOILER) given that it's Patricia Clarkson, who to me is criminally underrated, it is a real treat. All of the main actors have great chemistry with each other and do a great job with their roles, I especially have to give credits to the (seemingly) youngest of the bunch, Blake Cooper, he does a pretty good job. I also have to say that since many of the actors are British they do a great job at hiding their accents very well. Which isn't that easy in a lot of cases.

But why do I really like this film so much? I think the biggest reason is because it seems to parallels to the Vietnam War or even the wars in the Middle East. I'm sure some of you are already going, "What the hell are you talking about?" So I ask for your patience as I elaborate. This story is about a group of young men, and one girl (Kaya Scodelario) who are mostly young adults and teenagers who are forced into a situation they don't want to be a part of. A situation that involves several instances in which their lives are in danger from an enemy they don't have that much knowledge of. They also have no real idea as to why they're there? Now I'm not one to get political but that sounds like how a lot of people's views of the Vietnam War and the wars in Middle East. A much like in war (or as it seems to me) even if you've got things planned out and you think you've gotten a routine down that works something unexpected can happen and plays no favorites with who lives and who dies. Also, (SPOILERS) towards the very end, even though the survivors have escaped they are headed towards a desolated and destroyed city. Possibly symbolizing the fact that even for some veterans the war never leaves them even when they return home. 

It's also possible that I'm over analyzing it and that the ending was just a set up for a sequel. But then again people have seen deeper meaning and themes in other 'YA' books/movies, and even in stuff intended for kids. 

Side Note: I recommend the novel Fallen Angels by the late Walter Dean Myers. It's a 'YA' novel that is actually about the Vietnam War. 

To conclude I do recommend this film, if you're a fan of the book I guess you may like it as well. Though again I've never read it so I don't know what they've changed. But I honestly do want to check them out now. 

And if this doesn't seem like your cup of tea or you've seen it and didn't like it there's always Labyrinth (1986, dir. Jim Henson).

What's your opinion on it? Share your thoughts in the comment section. Be sure to like the blog's Facebook page

Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...