Saturday, December 15, 2018

Favorite Christmas Movie/Special Moments Part 4

If you haven't seen the other three posts, here are the links:

#16:
"Squirrel!" from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989, dir. Jeremiah S. Chechik)

This is another movie that has so many quotable and memorable moments that it's hard to pick one. And it's not even just the big moments (sentimental or comedic), there's a bunch of small moments that stick me with me.

But if you had to twist my arm to make me pick one, I'd have to go with...


I don't know what it is about this scene that makes me laugh so much. Maybe it's because I grew up in the country so the idea of a squirrel isn't an "OMG RUN FOR YOUR LIFE" moment.



Maybe it's the fact that they're all acting like a dragon came bursting through the door and started devouring all the kids and... wow my brain went to some dark places there.

But anyway, it's a silly and over the top scene that I can't help but love. 

Honorable mention goes to any moment with Aunt Bethany. 



#17:
Old Man Marley reunited with his family from Home Alone (1990, dir. Chris Columbus)




Another classic from my childhood. While I can certainly remove my nostalgia goggles and see the flaws in it, I still can't help but get a chuckle and a heartwarming feeling when watching.

And there's no scene in particular that brings a tear of joy to my eye than when Old Man Marley (Robert Blossoms) is reunited with his estranged family.


With the snow falling, the heartwarming hug, and of course, John Williams's BEAUTIFUL music always brings a heartwarming tear to my eye.

Honorable mention goes to the legendary scream from Marv (Daniel Stern).





#18:
Any scene with Tim Curry from Home Alone 2 (1992, dir. Chris Columbus)



As for this one... yeah, this one isn't as great. But I still get a kick watching this because it is firmly placed in my nostalgia. 

The best thing about the movie: Tim Curry! Curry gives that 110% performance that he has given in every movie he's been in. 



Whether it's him asking Kevin (Macaulay Culkin) about his "stolen credit card!", his Grinchy smile, the way he pronounces pizza, or how he tells "Kevin's dad" how he loves him. No matter what, we love you, Tim.

And have a lovely day!





#19:
"Marley and Marley" from The Muppets Christmas Carol (1992, dir. Brian Henson)



If you don't like the Muppets... then I would kindly ask that you reassess your life choices. 

The Muppets have always had a firm place in my heart and Jim Henson will always be one of my idols. 



The Muppets have also always been a staple of me and my family's holiday season. Whether its listening to the John Denver-Muppets Christmas album, watching this classic retelling of the Dickens classic, or for me at least, watching Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas (1977, dir. Jim Henson), Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (1978, dir. Jon Stone), or watching the aforementioned Muppet Family Christmas in my honorable mentions.


But what about Christmas Carol? This was a hard one to narrow down. Originally I was going to list Beaker (performed by Steve Whitmire) giving Scrooge (Michael Caine) his scarf in the Christmas morning segment because it was a sweet scene. 



Then I decided to let my darker side pick and it went with the musical number "Marley and Marley" performed by Scrooge's former partners Jacob and Robert Marley - Statler and Waldorf performed by Jerry Nelson and Dave Goelz respectively. 




It's a great dark little number that is pulled off wonderfully with Paul Williams's eery but humorously haunting tune. 

Credit also has to be given to Nelson and Goelz who truly do a great job with the roles. This is the first time the two would play the characters after the deaths of Jim Henson and Richard Hunt, the original performers (at least the main version, I know Nelson played Statler in The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence pilot). 

Below, you'll also see the extended version which I just discovered. This features dialogue and lyrics you'd hear in the official soundtrack. 


#20:
Mr. Hyunh reunites with his daughter in Hey, Arnold!: Arnold's Christmas (1996, dir. Jamie Mitchell)


If you never watched the show Hey, Arnold!, the basic premise is that it's about a nine-year-old named Arnold and his friends and family. Arnold - voiced by Lane Toran - lives with his grandparents (voiced by Dan Castellaneta and Tress MacNeille respectively) in a boarding house they run. 

For Christmas, the tenants hold a Secret Santa gift exchange. Arnold gets Mr. Hyunh (voiced by Baoan Coleman), a Vietnamese immigrant. 

Arnold notices that he looks a bit a sad around this time of year. He goes to ask what's on Mr. Hyunh's mind and... well, I'll let Mr. Hyunh explain. 


So, Arnold decides he wants to track down Mr. Hyunh's daughter for Christmas. Arnold and his friend Gerald (voiced by Jamil Walker Smith) do the last minute Christmas shopping for Mr. Bailey, an employee for the Federeal Office of Information (voiced by the legendary Vincent Schiavelli). Unfortunately, they can't get one item, because of that, Bailey won't help. 



Well, it turns out Arnold's classmate Helga (voiced by Francesca Marie Smith) who is Arnold's bully who has a secret crush on him, gets the item on the list - a pair of highly fashionable boots - but decides to give it to Bailey so they can track down Mai. 

And of course, we get our happy ending. 



Merry Christmas, Mr. Hyunh indeed. And to all the Arnolds and Helgas as well who go above and beyond to help others.


Stay tuned for part five!




No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...