Monday, December 3, 2018

Favorite Christmas Movie/Special Moments: Part 2

Let's continue!

If you missed part one click the link.


#6:
"Ringle, Ringle" from Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol (1962, dir. Abe Levitow)



Completely forgot about this special when I made the initial list of entries.

One of the reasons I'm including this is because this is one of my Dad's favorite specials. I like watching this with him when I can and it's always enjoyable to watch. I can tell it makes my Dad happy. 

I actually like how the creative team decided to not make this Christmas Carol but with Mr. Magoo (whose main thing is that he's nearsighted). But they actually did make this a version of the classic story where Jim Backus (also known for being in Gilligan's Island) gets to play Scrooge - at least as Magoo.



A highlight of the special is the enjoyable songs by Jule Styne and Bob Merrill. I picked "Ringle, Ringle" because it's Scrooge's song that highlights his progress as a character. The first version is him as the miser, the reprise is sung by the newly reformed Scrooge. 


#7:
The Grinch's smiles from How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966, dir. Chuck Jones)




Now, I'm sure this is a weird thing to highlight in regards to this classic filled with so many memorable moments. There's no shortage of great moments. The amazing Thurl Ravenscroft singing the iconic song from this, the Grinch's heart growing three sizes, and, of course, Boris Karloff's legendary narration.

But the reason I decided to choose highlight two of the Grinch's smiles: his "wonderful, awful idea" smile and his "maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more" smile. The two in particular kind of summarize the journey the Grinch goes on. That first smile summarizes his intentions inspired by his hatred of Christmas but his smile realizing what Christmas is about shows that it's not impossible for some to change. 

Also, I wanted to highlight these because it shows just how amazing Chuck Jones's animation is and it shows the kind of respect he had with Dr. Seuss, who he had worked with before and since this special.



#:
"A choo-choo" from Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (1970, dir. Arthur Rankin Jr. & Jules Bass)




When I was a kid I loved watching these Rankin-Bass specials, I thought they were some of the best Christmas things out there. As an adult, well I've started to notice the cracks and such. But regardless, I still enjoy watching them, if not just for the nostalgic feeling I get watching it. 

With Comin' to Town we get our first of many performances of Mickey Rooney as Santa and it's incredibly iconic. His optimism and generosity are on full display. These notions don't just apply to the kids, he also extends it to the adults as well, at least three of the main characters. Each one is memorable but the one I'm highlighting is the one with the menacing Winter Warlock (voiced by the legendary Keenan Wynn). 

One would think he'd be one of the main antagonists for Kris Kringle but through a simple gesture, he melts the icy heart of this warlock. 

The other two are memorable, the first was to his future wife Jessica (voiced by Robie Lester), the second was a more comedic moment with the main antagonist the Burgermeister Meisterburger (voiced by Paul Frees) getting a yo-yo. 

But the Warlock getting a "choo-choo" shows that sometimes a simple thing like a gift can change someone and mean something significant to them. 

This also leads to a great optimistic number with "Put One Foot in Front of the Other" which always puts a smile on my face.




#9: 
"I Hate People" and "I Like Life" from Scrooge (1970, dir. Ronald Neame)




This is a version of A Christmas Carol that I enjoy watching mainly because of the atmosphere and the songs written and composed by Leslie Bricusse, who has written some many memorable songs they deserve their own post. 

The two songs I highlighted kind of summarize two moods I find myself not only at Christmas but throughout all the year.



"I Hate People" sung by Scrooge (Albert Finney) as he collects money from clients and after being asked for donations from the two gentlemen (Derek Francis and Roy Kinnear respectively). I try to maintain a level of optimism in my life but the way things are nowadays it is hard and I find myself channeling Scrooge some days. 



On the opposite end, we have "I Like Life" sung by the Ghost of Christmas Present - portrayed by the amazing Kennet More. This mood, in particular, comes out during the holiday season despite the troubles and such. 


#10:
"I Could Be Santa Claus" from A Years Without a Santa Claus (1974, dir. Arthur Rankin Jr. & Jules Bass)




I think out of all the Rankin-Bass specials this one has the biggest cult following of these movies. Or at least the Miser Brothers do. While I do enjoy their song - sung by Dick Shawn and George S. Irving respectively - the moment I want to highlight is Mrs. Claus's song.

Mrs. Claus - voiced by Shirley Booth in her final acting role before retirement - has a cute little number where after putting on the Santa hat she feels she could take the reigns, since her hubby is not feeling up to it (mainly because of that a-hole Doctor. Seriously, what was up with him? Tell me he still doesn't work there.)

Oscar-winner Booth brings a great sense of merriment and optimism when it comes to the idea or doing the legendary Christmas ride... unfortunately the special drops this aspect and they go on a way more complicated message.

Well, maybe in the future we'll have Mrs. Claus take up the mantle. Or maybe there's a special I don't know about. But we at least have this cheerful tune. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...