Saturday, May 24, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past - Review. Mild Spoilers

X-Men: Days of Future Past
D: Bryan Singer
W: Simon Kinberg
S: Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, Nicholas Hoult, Peter Dinklage, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart



The X-Men return to the bring screen in their seventh onscreen adventure. This time around the mutants are becoming fewer in number and so they decide to send one of their own, Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), back in time to prevent the major event that would lead to the near extinction of the mutants. Will Wolverine succeed in the mission? Will  the younger versions of Prof. X (James McAvoy), Magneto (Michael Fassbender), and Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) listen to his warning and change their ways? Or are the remaining mutants doomed?

Out of all the comic franchises out there the X-Men franchise is the one I am least familiar with. I know the basics about them, but I've only seen bits and pieces of the original three films, and I've only seen a few episodes of the 90s cartoon series. One thing is for sure about that series, it had an awesome theme song. 


The only bits of the X-Men franchise I've seen completely is the cartoon series X-Men: Evolution, which I remember enjoying (this was the X-Men to me), and the only films I've seen are X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009, Dir. Gavin Hood) which in my opinion wasn't very good, and X-Men: First Class (2011, Dir. Matthew Vaughn) which I really, REALLY enjoyed. 

But from what I gathered this seems to be the overall consensus of the X-Men movies. X-Men franchise summarized by Jake Holland. 

So as someone who hasn't seen that much of the franchise how does the film hold up? It holds up pretty well. It really does take the character drama or Prof. X, Magneto and Mystique from the previous film and take it to the next level, and adapt it to the time period they're in.

 While Jackman has top billing in the film the real story belongs to the other three I mentioned before. It continues the opposing ideologies of McAvoy's Xavier and Fassbender's Magneto, and their attempts to persuade Lawrence's Mystique to join them. While all these performances are great the one that really steals the show is James McAvoy. I, at no point during this movie, doubted the fact that this was a young Charles Xavier. While he did channel a little of Patrick Stewart, he manages to make the role his own and can convey every emotion and make you believe that every action Charles Xavier takes is with good reason. Seriously, why are people complaining about Leonardo DiCaprio not winning the Oscar? How about the fact that McAvoy has never even been nominated! Where's the outrage for that? Sorry, had that bit of rage in me I had to get out. 


While I do enjoy this film I have the feeling I would appreciate this film a lot more if I watched the first three films, because from what I hear it fixed a lot of problems people had with third film. So I should have probably done my homework before seeing this film. But never the less this is still a pretty solid film that I think everyone will enjoy. The only problems I have are rather minor, one is slightly political involving the Magic Bullet stuff in Kennedy's assassination, and the weird fact that Anna Paquin is given such a high billing. But really that's nothing to big.

So again, I highly recommend this movie. I'll be sure to do my homework and find time for the first three films. 

What's your opinion on film? What are your thoughts on the X-Men franchise? Feel free to share in the comments below. 

Be sure to like the blog on Facebook.

NOTE: All images and videos belong to their respected sources. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...