Sunday, December 23, 2018

Favorite Christmas Movie/Special Moments: Final Part

Here we are, folks. The final five. 
Links to the other four:


#21:
Buddy arrives in New York from Elf (2003, dir. Jon Favreau)





I won't lie... this isn't one of my favorite Christmas movies. I don't think it's bad, but how some people feel about A Christmas Story is how I feel about this movie. I'm sure if I saw this when it came out I'd like it more but now it's like, "I like but it's not my first choice."



But if there's one thing I like, it's Will Ferrell's performance as Buddy and when he arrives in the Big Apple, it's awesome.



Most of the comedy, of course, comes from the overly joyous character straight out of a Rankin/Bass special be in the more (realistic) cynical world. Which is indeed funny!



For some reason when he goes into the restaurant and shouts, "congratulations! World's best cup of coffee!" is my favorite moment.

Of course, his optimism pays off in the end, but I think if Buddy suddenly showed up in our town we'd all be a bit weirded out.

But it's still a fun scene.

Honorable mention goes to Mr. Narwhal. No reason why. I just love him.




#22:
The Truce from Joyeux Noel (2005, dir. Christian Carion)



Link to the full scene

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I. One of the most memorable events that happened in the war was the Christmas truce of 1914, where the opposing sides decided to cease fire and spend Christmas together. 

That's what this film is about. The first act is the lead up to it, the second act is the truce, and the third is the tragic aftermath. 

This is one of the sadly beautiful movies ever and the way the truce was presented makes the latter half more somber because how does one go back to fighting someone they just called a friend?



It's an amazing film and my words can't do it any proper justice. Please watch it if you can.

Also, check out this commercial from four years ago commemorating the event:



#23:
Scrooge's trip to the past from A Christmas Carol (2009, dir. Robert Zemeckis)





Robert Zemeckis's third outing with the motion capture animation is a mixed bag for me. While I do like it overall, there are points where they go a bit overboard with CGI stunts, chase and that such. They also go a bit over the top with the darker stuff, in my opinion. 

But at the same time, there are some powerful moments and one that got me when I first saw it was when Scrooge (Jim Carrey) is taken back in time to his childhood days. I remember actually getting teary-eyed in this scene.



I can't really put my finger on why. Maybe it was the music score by the always reliable Alan Silvesti. Maybe it was the atmosphere that was present while Scrooge was flying and when on the ground looking around that tapped into my emotions over nostalgia. I don't know but somehow Zemeckis and his team did it. 

But whatever the reason, the scene still holds up and I really wish I saw the movie in 3D when it came out if not just for this part.

Sadly I can't find a clip of the scene online though I'm sure you'll catch it as one of the five Christmas movies on ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas. Yeah, I know the channel isn't called that anymore but we all call it that regardless.

#24:
The Doctor's entrance from Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol (2010, dir. Toby Haynes)





Anyone who knows me should not be surprised that I'm putting a Doctor Who Christmas moment on this list. 

For me, out of all the televised Christmas specials, this to me is the best mainly because it feels closest to having Christmas be part of the plot. 

QUICK SIDE NOTE: For those bummed about there not being a Christmas special this year (we're getting a New Years one so don't worry) please check out the 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) audio drama The Chimes of Midnight by Rob Shearman. It's amazing story and one of the best audio dramas out there. It's a good introduction for those who haven't listened to any yet. You can download it from Big Finish's website, iTunes, and Spotify I believe.



As for my favorite moment, there were plenty to choose from. Katherine Jenkins singing the beautiful "Abigail's Song", just the overall clever spin on the Dickens classic, but for me, I have to go with the entrance of the Doctor (Matt Smith). 

The way he comes out of the chimney is absolutely perfect for his Doctor and for this special. The way he takes over the situation and explores the room is just amazing and joyful. And he caps it off with a great line. 

"You know if 900 years of time and space I never met anyone who wasn't important."


#25: 
Arthur writing letters from Arthur Christmas (2011, dir. Sarah Smith)




With this moment I was thinking of naming the delivering of the forgotten gift as my favorite moment because it really epitomizes the character of Arthur (voiced by the incredibly underrated James McAvoy) and the message of the film. I decided to go with something towards the very beginning.



I previously talked about this scene in the first segment of an article series I write called "Little Moment, Big Meaning." I'm not going to link to it because last I looked at it were a ton of typos and such and I'd like to fix them. Yeah, I know there will probably be some here but I'd like to think my proofreading has improved since.

But, anyway, in that piece, I talked about how Arthur was given the task of writing back to the kids who wrote to Santa. My guess is because Arthur tends me be clumsy, so this is a safe job. But Arthur really does have his heart in this and the Christmas spirit. 

The main thing I noted was Arthur has a computer, but it's pushed off to the side and he handwrites every single letter!



That for me speaks volumes about the character. While it would be much easier to do it on the computer, he knows that a handwritten letter means something a bit more. It means, that somebody actually read it and is responding. It's not a mindless machine that just fills out blanks on a standard form for these, it's a real person who wants to make somebody's day a bit more special. 

That for me is part of the spirit we need to have not only at Christmas but throughout the whole year. Just try to make things a little bit better by being a bit nicer. 



Thank you to everyone who read, shared, and commented on these. It means a lot and I certainly hope your season has been festive and happy, and may the new year bring you joy and prosperity. 

Share your own favorite moments in the comments, follow me on Twitter @DocJohn90, and check us out on Facebook

2 comments:

  1. If you are using P2P streaming services like Popcorn Time or want to access geo-restricted content like different Netflix libraries, BBC iPlayer, Hulu or Amazon Prime this Christmas, then Ivacy VPN is the only way to go. Ivacy is built for High-Speed VPN connection so that you can enjoy seamless Online Streaming, Unlimited Bandwidth, and a Secure Web-surfing experience.

    https://www.ivacy.com/blog/the-best-christmas-vpn-deal/

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this Christmas, you can get amazing online discounts If you need a VPN Deals to get this amazing deal they give safe & secure VPN services.

    ReplyDelete

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...