Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Thoughts on Upcoming Releases: Week of Oct. 19, 2018

In this installment, we take a look at the return of The Shape, three directorial debuts from actors, another film directed by an actress who has directed before, a literary forger, and foreign thriller.

Before I go on, I want to clarify something. The movies I feature in these posts are based on what is listed as coming out this weekend according to Rotten Tomatoes. Now, a lot of times it shifts around and they'll include films that were already released in a limited capacity but then got a wider release. For example, this coming weekend they're including the wider release of The Hate U Give which I already discussed. I am including another one listed that had a previous limited release because I hadn't talked about it before.

There are also two other films coming to my area that had previously been released limitedly but to keep this short I'll just say I hope to see The Sister Brothers and Colette if not because they're awards contenders.

Speaking of which, since it's awards season I'm including a * next to titles that have some awards buzz. When I say awards buzz I don't mean every one of these is up for Best Picture or whatever. I mean they could possibly get a major award. 

Halloween - dir. David Gordon Green



"Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago. This being the 11th film in the “Halloween” series, will ignore the events of all previous sequels, picking up 40 years after the events of the original film."

John Carpenter's original 1978 film was my first taste of a slasher film - and traumatized me for a while but that's a topic for another post - and I love it. The sequels and remakes.... ehhhh. They range from "Okay" to "WHAT?!" But this film seems to be ignoring all those films and is a direct sequel to the original. THANK GOODNESS! Also, I'm always up for more Jamie Lee Curtis.


The Old Man & The Gun* - dir. David Lowery



"The true story of Forrest Tucker (Robert Redford), from his audacious escape from San Quentin at the age of 70 to an unprecedented string of heists that confounded authorities and enchanted the public. Wrapped up in the pursuit are a detective (Casey Affleck), who becomes captivated with Forrest’s commitment to his craft, and a woman (Sissy Spacek), who loves him in spite of his chosen profession."

This is a film I've been looking forward to seeing for a while for three reasons: 1. It's a cool sounding story. 2. Redford has said this would be his last acting role which I can't miss. 3. A part of it was filmed in my home state of Ohio in Dayton. 





Wildlife* - dir. Paul Dano




"14-year-old Joe (Ed Oxenbould) is the only child of Jeanette (Carey Mulligan) and Jerry (Jake Gyllenhaal)—a housewife and a golf pro—in a small town in 1960s Montana. Nearby, an uncontrolled forest fire rages close to the Canadian border, and when Jerry loses his job—and his sense of purpose—he decides to join the cause of fighting the fire, leaving his wife and son to fend for themselves. Suddenly forced into the role of an adult, Joe witnesses his mother’s struggle as she tries to keep her head above water."

The first of the three actor directorial debuts I referenced above, in this case it's from Paul Dano (There Will Be Blood, 12 Years a Slave, Little Miss Sunshine, etc.). I'm more than certain the fire is a big symbol of something involving the domestic lifestyle or things "they shouldn't be drawn to." Also I'm always up for more Gyllenhaal and Mulligan.



Mid90s* - dir. Jonah Hill



"Stevie (Sunny Suljic) is a sweet 13-year-old about to explode. His mom (Katherine Waterson) is loving and attentive, but a little too forthcoming about her romantic life. His big brother (Lucas Hedges) is a taciturn and violent bully. So Stevie searches his working-class Los Angeles suburb for somewhere to belong. He finds it at the Motor Avenue skate shop."

The second of three acting directorial debuts I mentioned and I won't lie, I never saw Jonah Hill going behind the camera. I don't know why. It's nothing against Hill. But whatever this film still looks solid.



Can You Ever Forgive Me?* - dir. Marielle Heller



"When bestselling celebrity biographer Lee Israel (Melissa McCarthy) is no longer able to get published because she has fallen out of step with current tastes, she turns her art form to deception, abetted by her loyal friend Jack (Richard E. Grant)."

I don't know much about this story involving Israel and the controversy surrounding her but it'll be interesting to see. Especially since they're basing this on her memoirs. So, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. Also, I like seeing Melissa McCarthy do more serious acting roles.



The Guilty - dir. Gustav Möller



"Alarm dispatcher and former police officer, Asger Holm (Jakob Cedergren), answers an emergency call from a kidnapped woman. When the call is suddenly disconnected, the search for the woman and her kidnapper begins. With the phone as his only tool, Asger enters a race against time to save the endangered woman. But soon he realizes that he is dealing with a crime that is far bigger than he first thought."

I kept seeing the poster for this film but just now looked into it and it sounds awesome!



What They Had* - dir. Elizabeth Chomko



"A woman (Hilary Swank) must fly back to her hometown when her Alzheimer’s-stricken mother, wanders into a blizzard. The return home forces her to confront her past."

This is the third actor-directorial debut, though I'll be honest I hadn't heard of her until this point, sadly. But anyway this looks a solid film and it's probably going to be one of those movies where I'll want to call my parents afterward. That or I'll find it really schmaltzy. But I'm sure this will be someone's go-to tearjerker.



Galveston - dir. Mélanie Laurent



"After a violent encounter with his boss’ men, Roy (Ben Foster) finds a prostitute (Elle Fanning) and sees something in her frightened, defiant eyes that prompts a fateful decision. He takes her with him as he flees to Galveston, an action as ill-advised as it is inescapable."

When I saw French-actress Mélanie Laurent was attached I thought "wow this is the fourth movie this week with an actor making their directorial debut!" But looking into a bit more she's actually directed a few other films, though I haven't heard/seen them, sadly. But it sounds like a solid film and I like Ben Foster. Also, I won't lie, as soon as I read the title I instantly started humming the Glen Campbell song. 



Those are my thoughts? What are your thoughts on these films or others coming out this weekend?

Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...