Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Favorite Tom Petty Songs


R.I.P.
Image: Andy Tennille @LinerNoteJukie



It's been a year since we lost Tom Petty.

With his death, the music and the world is a lesser place without him. He was one of the purest examples of a rock musician. He never let himself be defined by a title. He was never a punk rocker, a blue-collar man, or anything like that. He was Tom Petty!

He was a musician through and through.

I saw him live at Riverbend in Cincinnati in 2008 and it was an amazing concert! I almost saw him again in Cincinnati last year when was on his 40th-anniversary tour but for one reason or another I didn't go. I said to myself, "Eh, whatever. There'll be another tour."

The lesson here: if you have the chance to see someone in concert, SEE THEM!

In memory of Tom's passing, I'm going to share my favorite songs of his in chronological order because there's no way I can properly rank them. I'm including his solo work, Mudcrutch, and Traveling Wilburys music.

Tom, we still miss you and we'll never forget your music. My prayers and well-wishes still go out to your family and your friends, especially to your bandmates - Benmont, Ron, Scott, Steve, and, of course, Mike.


American Girl - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (1976)




I Need to Know - You're Gonna Get It (1978)



Refugee - Damn the Torpedoes (1979)



Even the Losers - Damn the Torpedoes (1979)



The Waiting - Hard Promises (1981)



Insider ft. Stevie Nicks - Hard Promises (1981)




Deliver Me - Long After Dark (1982)



Change of Heart - Long After Dark (1982




Straight Into Darkness - Long After Dark (1982)




Southern Accents - Southern Accents (1985)




It'll All Work Out - Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) (1987)



A Self Made Man - Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) (1987)



End of the Line - The Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 1 (1988)




I Won't Back Down - Full Moon Fever (1989)





Yer So Bad - Full Moon Fever (1989)





Learning to Fly - Into the Great Wide Open (1991)




All the Wrong Reasons - Into the Great Wide Open (1991)



Wildflowers - Wildflowers (1994)




You Wreck Me - Wildflowers (1994)





To Find a Friend - Wildflowers (1994)




Angel Dream (No. 2) - Songs and Music from "She's the One" (1996)




Accused of Love - Echo (1999)



Echo - Echo (1999)



The Last DJ - The Last DJ (2002)





Saving Grace - Highway Companion (2006)




Big Weekend - Highway Companion (2006)





Scare Easy - Mudcrutch (2008)





No Reason to Cry - Mojo (2010)



Something Good Coming - Mojo (2010)




Red River  - Hypnotic Eyes (2014)




I Forgive It All - 2 (2016)




You and Me (clubhouse version, 2007) - An American Treasure (2018)







No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...