Friday, November 28, 2014

Star Wars: The Force Awakens theories


Ever since the trailer debuted for Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens I've been watching it countless times. I seriously can't believe how much it has gotten me stoked. I mean, this is just a teaser full of money shots. You know, "Look X-Wings! Look a cool looking lightsaber! Look the Falcon!" But still I can't deny the fact that this has gotten me excited. I feel like a little kid watching the original trilogy on VHS for the first time. 

After watching this trailer over and over again I've started developing my own theories about the film. Let's start with the first thing to literally pop up in the trailer, John Boyega.


Now obviously we see him wearing a storm trooper uniform. My theory with him is that he's actually a spy for the New Republic and they're on Tatooine it seems so it could be that the Empire is invading there for some reason, it could have something to do with Luke Skywalker, and Boyega's character is an operative to help rescue him or something. I am sort of getting a, "I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you," vibe. This leads to the second person to pop up, Daisy Ridley.



Clearly she's on Tatooine as well and she could be anything. She could a member of the New Republic there to rendezvous with Boyega, she could a smuggler who thinks the Empire is after her (her speeder bike seems to be big enough to have cargo containers), she could a Jedi, she could be an Imperial scout. There's a lot of possibility with her and I'm fine with that. 


Then we've got Oscar Isaac. His part seems rather obvious as of right now, he's a member of the New Republic and an X-Wing pilot (by the way, this part was probably my favorite part of the trailer). Heck, he could very well be the new leader of Rogue Squadron. He could be Wedge Antilles's son or something. Okay, I'm probably reaching there.



But onto the moment everyone seems to be talking about, the medieval looking lightsaber. What in the heck is up with that design? I'll be honest and say that this is the one thing that made me tilt my head, those hilts seem so impractical.

 I did like the way it was revealed though. The lone Sith walking through the creepy, snowy forest and suddenly whipping out his lightsaber. Great work there. But who is he/she is the big question. It could be Domhall Gleeson, it could Andy Serkis (who as it turns out was the voice heard in the trailer). I'm guessing just based on that voice he used in the trailer that Serkis could be a Sith who is seeking a new apprentice to take down Skywalker and bring a new empire to power. I can only guess at this point. 

None the less, I'm still excited about this. 

Have you developed any thoughts or theories about the movie? Share them in the comment section. 

Be sure to like the blog on Facebook

And follow me on Twitter @DocJohn90. 

All images belong to their respected sources. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...