Sunday, February 26, 2017

Top 15 Best Films of 2016



Here's are my favorites of the year. Again, please keep in mind I have not seen everything and whatever film you may like may not appear on this list.

Honorable mentions:
Deepwater Horizon
Doctor Strange
The Dressmaker
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Fences
The Fits
Kubo and the Two Strings
Lion
A Man Called Ove
Zootopia




15. Manchester by the Sea - dir. Kenneth Lonergan
This is a very brutal film, but the way this film displayed grief is something that has to be seen. Featuring powerhouse performances from Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams, this is a film that shows that not everyone responds to grief the same way and how one event can damage and stick with someone.




14. Denial - dir. Mick Jackson

I'm always up for a good courtroom drama. This movie, based on a true story, really shows how to take down a bigoted idiot. You take them down with facts. The movie also features a show-stealing performance from Rachel Weisz. Check it out.




13. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - dir. Gareth Edwards

This is the Star Wars film I've been waiting for. Something that's not about the Skywalkers and their friends. We get a war film. Yes, the other films feature battle scenes and the like but this one has it on center stage. I won't pretend that this is a perfect film, but I really had a blast watching it. Also, you can't deny the final battle was anything but amazing.




12. 10 Cloverfield Lane - dir. Dan Trachtenberg

10 Cloverfield Lane aka JOHN GOODMAN IS AMAZING! Seriously, I wish Goodman was nominated for an Oscar for this performance. But outside of the awesomeness that is Goodman, this is an awesome thriller. The paranoia and claustrophobic atmosphere make a tight and exciting film with a really smart lead.



11. The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale - dir. Park Hoon-jung

I discovered this film on Netflix and I was so happy I did. This film is one of the most beautifully put together tragedic stories I've seen. With a performance from Min-sik Choi, a wonderful story, beautiful production elements, this is a film everyone should see.




10. Captain America: Civil War - dir. Anthony Russo and Joe Russo

Not as great as Winter Soldier but still an action packed and a great entry into this cinematic universe. The Captain American films continue to do what they've been doing best, they build the world, continue the story, develops the characters, and features some of the best action scenes of the year.
This film to me also has the best villain of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He got stuff done, he had an impact on the universe, and had a good motivation that wasn't just "And I will rule the world!"




09. 13th - dir. Ava Duvernay

This is the most important documentary made this year. A movie that goes in depth into the history prison system of the U.S. and the racial politics behind it. This documentary gives a look a part of this country's history that really should be looked at and discussed more. It's still on Netflix, please give it a watch.



08. Moonlight - dir. Barry Jenkins

Understanding. That's the main thing to take away from this film. We follow an African-American male living in a rough Florida neighborhood as he struggles with his own identity and his surroundings. The film wants you to look at this man and wants you to think before you judge someone. It's an amazing film that should be witnessed and experienced.




07. Tower - dir. Keith Maitland

While 13th may be the most important documentary, this is the one that got to me the most. The film talks about the deadly mass shooting at the University of Texas in 1966 and presents it through reenactments via rotoscope with interviews with witnesses and survivors. It's powerful, moving, makes you think, and I'm super bummed that it was nominated for Best Documentary at the Oscars.




06. Arrival - dir. Denis Villeneuve

This is what science fiction should be. Smart, mature, and makes you think. The build and suspense to the first encounter is spectacular in and of itself. But I love the overall theme of communication and how vital it is to society. To go any further would mean spoiling it and I don't want to do that.




05. The Nice Guys - dir. Shane Black

Shane Black, you are the man. This was the most fun I had the theater this year. You've got two charismatic leads, funny dialogue, and an awesome 70's soundtrack. What's not to like? Go see this movie now!




04. Silence - dir. Martin Scorsese

This movie gave me one of the most spiritual and emotional experiences I ever had at a theater. This is what religious movies should do - it makes you ask questions and think. Also, it deals with a time that Christianity was discriminated against. But again, it makes you look at why it was. I honestly thought I would get bored while watching this film but that never happened.




03. Eye in the Sky - dir. Gavin Hood

One of the most intense movies of the years. As the plot moved along I found myself getting closer to the edge of my seat hoping and praying for the best. It's another film that makes you ask tough questions but this time it deals with war and whether or not the ends justify the means.
Also, I really wish this was Alan Rickman's last role.

With the number 1 & 2, I had a hard time picking which would go where.




02. Hell or High Water - dir. Taylor Sheridan

This movie is one of the few movies that's just plain perfect. Great performances, great script, great direction, great everything. If you haven't seen, do it now! My words don't do it justice, you just have to see it.




01. La La Land - dir. Damien Chazelle

The reason this takes the top spot is because this movie inspired me. This movie makes me want to continue in pursuing my passions and dreams. Yeah, cliched and corny to say that but damn it all it's true.
Other than that, this movie is another example just about everything being perfect. The music numbers are great (even the "sellout" song), the performances are fantastic, and every technical part shows that Chazelle knows the right people and uses them wisely.


There are my picks of the year. Hope you liked it. What were your favorites?
Here's to the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...