Saturday, August 2, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy Review


Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
D: James Gunn
W: James Gunn, Nicole Perlman
S: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Benicio del Toro

Marvel Studios unleashes another film onto the public, at this point they appear to be unstoppable. But as long as they keep making movies like this (and Captain America: the Winter Soldier) I'm fine with that. This time around we follow a group of unlikely heroes banding together to stop an evil force who wants to disrupt the peace and conquer the galaxy. 

I really like these kind of stories. I like seeing these different people come together for a common goal and seeing the different personas interacting with each other. And this group... well you can't get more ragtag than this group. You've got an Missouri born smuggler (Star Lord played by Chris Pratt), an orphaned alien turning on her abductor/boss (Gamora played by Zoe Saldana), a revenge seeking warrior (Drax the Destroyer played by professional wrestler David Bautista), and a genetically engineered smart aleck raccoon (Rocket voiced by Bradley Cooper) and his walking talking tree buddy Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel). 

A big problem that can happen with these types of movies is that team members could easily become just a one note character. Like, he's the smart one, he's the strong one, he's the notable leader, she's the token woman. But that is thankfully not the case here. Each character has their own unique back story and each contributes to the story. Watching these guys play off each other is awesome. Also I have to give special credit to Cooper for his great voice acting for this movie, the guy made me feel for a talking raccoon. Also this is probably Vin Diesel's strongest performance since The Iron Giant (1999, Dir. Brad Bird). Now that I think about it, Groot and the Giant are very similar. Both are giant man made creatures with mysterious (at least to me) origins, both are soft spoken and gentle, but both can very tough and dangerous. And both do something that... um... when you see the film you'll know what I'm referring to. 


As for the villains of the movie, they serve their purpose well. Though I will admit they didn't leave a big impact on me, except for Nebula. Okay that might be because she's played by Karen Gillan, and I'm a big Doctor Who  fan, and a big Karen Gillan fan. Okay, I have a crush on her I'll admit. But she's still awesome. 


Yes, even when bald and  playing a villain 

Though (SPOILERS) we never see what happened to her so she might appear in a future film, and if something did happen to her, I missed it. 

But the one thing about this film, and all the recent Marvel films I've seen, that I want to point out that makes me really like these films is that THEY'RE FUN! My biggest problem with the some of the DC films is that they're all dark and moody without any trace of fun. Now, I'm not saying their can't be a story or drama but when the story is nothing but the heroes mopping about and talking about their responsibility as a hero, it gets dull. 

Also Marvel just seems to embrace these characters and what makes them unique. None of them are the same. Whereas DC just seems to try to turn them into Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight films.

So to sum it up, I've got no major issue with this film. Check it out. Oh, the 3D is worth it if you want to see it in 3D. 

What are you waiting for? Go see it! Come and get the love from the movie.




Oh and the soundtrack is awesome. 

What did you think of the movie? Share your opinion in the comment section, share the review, and go like the blog's Facebook page for more movie related posts and reviews. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...