Sunday, July 20, 2014

Rest in Peace James Garner (1928-2014)


This week the world of film and television lost one of its greats, James Garner passed away at the age of 86 years old at his home. 

I can never claim to be a fan of his two big television series Maverick and The Rockford Files, because I've never seen a full episode of either, but as you can guess I have seen plenty of his films. One of the best things I can about the late Mr. Garner was that he was extremely charismatic. It's easy to see why this man remained so popular through out his career, it probably explains why he got two TV series. 

Now a lot of Nicholas Sparks fans would probably know him for his performance as the older Noah Calhoun in the 2004 adaptation of The Notebook (Dir. Nick Cassavetes). Even though I can't really say I'm a fan of the film, or any Nicholas Sparks related material for that matter, I can that the film did have good performances and Mr. Garner was no exception. He just had this warmth about him. A very inviting feel, that made you feel comfortable. Also, he and Gena Rowlands had great chemistry together. 


He was introduced to a new generation of fans a few years before The Notebook. In 2001 Disney Studios released its 2001 animated epic Atlantic: The Lost Empire (Dir. Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise), in which Garner played the leader of the expedition to find Atlantis and the main antagonist. Garner managed to convey nearly every trope every good villain character should have, he would draw you in with his professionalism and then when the time came he showed his real color without batting an eye. 


For me Mr. Garner will always known for his role in one of my favorite films, The Great Escape (1963, Dir. John Sturges). In this WWII POW movie he portrayed American RAF pilot Flight Lt. Bob Hendley, or as he was known to the Allies in camp, The Scrounger. Every scene with him you got a great sense of who he was not only through the writing but through Garner's performances. He could be manipulative when he needed something from the guards, but he was also friendly and compassionate, as indicated though his friendship with the forger of the group, Flight Lt. Colin Blythe (played by Donald Pleasance of the Halloween franchise). 


I'll end this post with a clip from The Great Escape when Garner, along with the other two American POWs (Steve McQueen and Jud Taylor), give out homemade liquor in the camp on the Fourth of July. Mr. Garner, you will be missed. Rest in Peace.









No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...