Thursday, April 5, 2018

My #ChangeTheChannel Response and Apology

This image came from a video by SwizzlyBubbles

I've been a fan of the website Channel Awesome (formerly known as That Guy With the Glasses) almost since its beginning. I routinely watch videos created by current and former content creators. I was a massive fan of the site and its main talent the Nostalgia Critic (Doug Walker).

Many of the contributors of the site helped me appreciate and get into things that I'm now a fan of.

In a way, the site and its producers motivated me to start this blog and think about look into possibly doing video reviews. There was even a hope that I'd get to be a content creator of the site.

But my feelings towards the site have changed.

Recently, many former contributors released a 65 page Google document called, "Not So Awesome". In it, they talk about the terrible treatment they and others had received during their time with the website. The allegations include mismanagement, poor communications with producers, sexism and just all around horrible treatment.

Link to the complete document: Not So Awesome Google doc - condensed version 

This horrified me. A site that I had followed almost since its beginning was treating its contributors as almost nothing. It even enraged me.

Eventually, I calmed down and said to myself, "Okay, let's see what Channel Awesome does next." Because I believe in giving people a chance to share their side of the story. The higher-ups at the site eventually responded and it was one of the most non-apologies ever. I basically gave up after reading the line, "we sincerely regret you felt that way".


Now, I'm not saying an apology would've fixed every problem. Chances are there are several bridges are thoroughly burned. But an apology would've been something. Something to at least acknowledge that you messed up in the past and show that you're trying to make things better.


This is part of a larger thread.


But instead, you gave us this.

Dan Olson, a former contributor, says it best.


According to Tony Goldmark (Some Jerk With a Camera), one of the current contributors, he basically warned them to make sure their apology is sincere because if it isn't it'll blow up in their face. And it appears that he was right. Apparently, he's now debating whether or not he should stick around.

Part of a larger thread

Now there are two reasons why I wanted to write this. First, because I wanted to express my thoughts and feelings about this whole thing, especially since this involves a site I've liked for a long time. Second, because I knew about some of these things and I felt guilty for basically ignoring it.

I didn't know about everything that's talked about in the document, but I knew of a few of them. But, I guess my reason for ignoring it is because I thought it was just between those few people and nothing else. But still, that's not an excuse. I should've said/done something.

So, I'm going to do something that is apparently tough for the top dogs of Channel Awesome.

To all those who have been bullied, harassed, mistreated and everything else during their time on Channel Awesome and afterward, I'm sorry.

I'm sorry that I blatantly ignored the problems I knew of and didn't do anything about it. I know I'm just an amateur schmuck blogger with no big connections but at the very least I could've shown more support towards you guys. I'm sorry you all experienced these horrible conditions and treatment.

I hope to help future endeavors by contributing to individuals Patreons and subscribing to individual content channels and such.

Also, in regards to those still producing for the site, I'd like to quote Lewis Lovhaug (Linkara of Atop the Fourth Wall) from his "I Have Left Channel Awesome" post:

"... please do not take my and others’ departures as a sign that you should harass or question those who do remain. Others may not be as fortunate and rely upon the views they get from the site or they may just have their own reasons for staying that they do not wish to share. It is their prerogative. All I will say is that you should support the content you love."

As for Channel Awesome, I don't know what the next step is for you guys. Especially after that non-apology of yours. But right now, I can't in good conscious support the site.

Overall, I just hope things get better for those who were hurt and the management gets better at the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My travel watching and reading lists (and some road trip songs)

 I'm leaving on a big roadtrip and I just wanted to share what I've got on my to-watch list while I'm on vacation, my reading li...